Imagine yourself experiencing a place of turquoise blue waters teeming with whales and puffins, tidewater and alpine glaciers, protected coves, and rugged cliffs under glorious skies. Let us guide you as we watch sea otters casually feed on urchins and mollusks; seals following curiously as you kayak in silence; eagles peering down at you while you hike through impossibly green spruce forests, pods of orcas gliding by the bow of your charter boat as they search for salmon, humpback whales breach in glacial fjords...it's all here, waiting for you.
What we'll do
This is your opportunity for us to show you first-hand the beauty of Seward, Lowell Point and Resurrection Bay. While making our way to our kayaking location, learn about life in Seward, both past and present, from your driver guide, who will narrate as we make our way through town. As we leave the paved streets of Seward, we’ll travel along the shoreline of Resurrection Bay on the gravel surface of Lowell Road. We’ll view turquoise blue waters and beautiful mountain vistas while we travel comfortably by van to our private beach.
Upon reaching our launch location, you’ll meet your kayaking guides for a trip briefing before heading out onto the water. This family-friendly fully guided sea kayaking and rain forest exploration combo trip are perfect for those who would like time to relax in their surroundings whether it be kayaking to a beautiful waterfall, sitting on washed-up driftwood on the beach, or walking through the moss-laden forest. On this trip, we commonly encounter sea otters, sea birds, bald eagles, and leaping salmon.
We'll paddle the shoreline surrounded by mountains and glacial vistas, gliding through the waters looking for the graceful movements of the harbor porpoise or the industrious sea otters diving for their lunch. We'll explore Tonsina Point with its ghost forest, late-season salmon stream, and beautiful mountain views and enjoy a picnic lunch and possibly a visit to a waterfall. This excursion includes lunch, beverages, and snacks. Children 8 and up are welcome to kayak with an adult in our two-person kayaks.
- Narrated Van Tour of Seward
- Beach Combing
- Rainforest Exploration
- Picnic Lunch
- Kayaking Lowell Point State Rec Area
- Salmon (mid-July to August)
- Wildlife Viewing
- Family Friendly
What to expect / what's provided
*Duration: 7 Hours
MEETING TIME: 9:20 am. The van will depart at 9:30 am, and there will be no refund if the trip departs without you due to your tardiness.
09:20 am - Check-in at the Adventure Center (1304 4th Avenue, Seward)
09:30 am - Begin Narrated Van Tour as We Make Our Way to Lowell Point
10:00 am - Arrive at Our Private Beach Launch Site & Meet Your Kayak Guides
10:30 am - Kayaking and Walking the Shoreline of Lowell Point State Recreation Area & Resurrection Bay
12:30 pm - Beachside Picnic Lunch
03:45 pm - Return to Launch Beach
04:00 pm - Board Van for Return to Seward
04:20 pm - Arrive at Adventure Center
* Note: These are approximate times and may be affected by wind, weather, or whales.
*MEETING LOCATION: 1304-B 4th Avenue, Seward, Alaska 99664. Please give yourself 10 minutes to find a parking space. Parking is available across the street in the City of Seward lot for $10/day. Do not park in the Kenai Fjords Tours lot, as this lot has a 2-hour maximum and you may incur a parking ticket.
*INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Fully-Guided Tour by Van Through Seward to Lowell Point
- Fully-Guided Kayaking Along the Shoreline of Resurrection Bay
- Hearty Lunch & Snacks
- Two-Person Kayak
- Waterproof Boots
- Spray Skirt
- Personal Flotation Device
- Dry Bag
- Splash Jacket & Pants (as needed)
*WHAT TO WEAR & BRING:
- Warm Layers (synthetic/wool…avoid Cotton or Denim!)
- Warm Socks
- Full Water Bottle
- Due to kayak & gear limitations, kayakers must be a minimum of 8-years old and 50 pounds, and a maximum of 250 pounds or a 44-inch waist.
- Kayakers over 6’5” may not fit comfortably in our kayaks.
- Since we all come in different shapes and sizes, please contact us if you’re uncertain about sizing.
- Kayaking is an active sport and requires full participation. Each paddler must be able to hold and use a paddle effectively.
- We will be in a remote setting and professional medical assistance is not readily available.
- Please contact us if you have any physical or medical limitations that could affect your ability to participate in this group tour.
- We do not allow participation if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
*MODIFICATIONS AND CANCELLATIONS, DUE TO COVID-19 RELATED TRAVEL COMPLICATIONS:
Reservations may be altered to another date within the same season, without penalty, up until three days before departure.
Reservations may be canceled for a refund, less credit card and booking fees, up until seven days before departure.
We highly recommend getting vaccinated prior to travel. If you can not vaccinate, we recommend testing 72 hours prior to travel.
Guests experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, as outlined below may not participate. We will refund the entirety of the payment if you cannot join us due to C19 symptoms.
*Guests cannot participate if they are:
-Are exhibiting the current CDC recognized symptoms consistent with Covid-19;
-Have knowingly been in contact with a suspected or positive case of Covid-19 in the last 14 days;
-Are within 72 hours of exhibiting significant Covid-19 symptoms or a fever;
-When recovering from a case of Covid-19, are less than 14 days from onset or less than 72 hours since the end of significant symptoms or fever;
-Guests are advised to bring a full bottle of water with you to your adventure.
-We highly recommend wash their hands often, or use hand sanitizer, as outlined by the CDC.
*RESURRECTION BAY 3-HOUR KAYAK, CAINES HEAD KAYAK & HIKE, TONSINA POINT KAYAK & EXPLORATION
- Reservations may be altered to another date within the current season without penalty until three days before departure.
- Reservations may be canceled, without penalty, up until three days before departure when transferred to a reservation credit valid through the following season.
- Reservations may be canceled for a refund, less the credit card fee, up until 15 days before departure.
- There will be no refund for non-participation on a reserved trip, unless there is a medical reason. If there were a medical condition that necessitates cancellation, we would request a note from your doctor.
- There will be no refund in the difference of price for switching to a different trip of lesser value within 14 days of the departure date.
- Although we rarely cancel trips we reserve the right to cancel any trip for any reason that would make the operation of the trip inadvisable or unsafe. Weather cancellations will be left to our discretion based on field experience. If we cancel a trip you may reschedule or request a full refund. This refund will be the limit of our liability. Sunny Cove does not cancel tours solely on account of rain. Sea kayaking is an activity that remains fun rain or shine.
- Sunny Cove highly recommends the purchase of travel insurance for all your Alaskan travels. We will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by you in preparation for the trip including airfare, lodging, travel expenses, and other expenditures.
*CANCELLATION FOR ANY OTHER REASON:
Reservations may be canceled for a refund, less credit card and booking fees, up until 15 days before departure.
There will be no refund for non-participation on a reserved trip. If there were a medical condition that necessitates cancellation, we would request a note from your doctor.
There will be no refund in the difference of price for switching to a different trip of lesser value within 15 days of the departure date.
Although we rarely cancel trips, we reserve the right to cancel any trip for any reason that would make the operation of the trip inadvisable or unsafe. Weather cancellations will be left to our discretion based on field experience. If we cancel a trip you may reschedule or request a full refund. This refund will be the limit of our liability. Sunny Cove does not cancel tours solely due to rain.
Sunny Cove highly recommends the purchase of travel insurance for all your Alaskan travels. We will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by you in preparation for the trip including airfare, lodging, travel expenses, and other expenditures.
*GRATUITIES: Sunny Cove is proud to employ some of the best guides in the industry. If you feel your guides made your time on the water more enjoyable, you're welcome to express your thanks with a tip – this is greatly appreciated by your guide. The general rule of thumb for the outdoor professional industry is 10-20%. The general rule of thumb for the outdoor professional industry is 10-20%. We would appreciate it if you would tip your kayak guide directly through Venmo. Our kayak guides will share tips with their driver guides.
We look forward to kayaking with you!