ONE AMAZINGLY ALASKAN DAY IN KENAI FJORDS NATIONAL PARK
Let us guide YOU on this ULTIMATE Alaskan experience! We’ll guide you to wild places, paddle near an impressive tidewater glacier, and cruise on our private catamaran through Kenai Fjords National Park watching for whales, orca, sea lions, seals, porpoise, puffins eagles, and more. Really, these are two incredible tours, combined into one unforgettable day! Bring your camera, your sense of awe and adventure, and get ready for a fully-guided, mind-blowing day of wilderness, laughter, and adventure!
Our catamaran includes plenty of heated seating space inside, spacious deck space for wildlife viewing, and incredible stability while underway, making for a very comfortable ride. We’ve partnered with our friends at Seward Coastal Charters for our private ride into Kenai Fjords National Park.
What we'll do
Our day begins at the Seward Boat Harbor where our guides will escort you from our offices to our private charter, the Ascension to meet your Captain and Crew before getting underway. Next, we’ll cruise for about two hours through Resurrection Bay and the Cape into Aialik Bay and Kenai Fjords National Park to our launch beach. Our boat is fast, and we typically arrive at our destination before any of the larger tour boats arrive. That means we often have the entire area to ourselves while kayaking!
Once on shore, we'll spend about a half-hour getting you outfitted and running through basic kayaking instruction. After instruction, we'll have approximately 3 hours (3-5 miles) of kayaking along the rugged shoreline. Along the way, we'll take breaks to immerse ourselves in the sights, sounds, and sensations of floating near an actively calving tidewater glacier.
We typically kayak at Holgate Glacier, one of the three glaciers in Aialik Bay. We prefer Holgate since it’s less visited than Aialik Glacier, and we prefer the solitude away from cruise boats and large groups of kayakers. Also, Holgate Arm has dozens of incredible hidden waterfalls, towering cliffs, and little nooks and crannies, making for a breathtaking kayaking experience with surprises around every corner.
Following our kayaking tour, we'll re-board our private charter vessel to seek out whales, sea lions, seals, puffins, killer whales, and more for a few hours as we cruise back to Seward. Having a fast, private charter boat means we have lots of time to search for wildlife after we wrap up kayaking. Our typical return time to Seward is 4:30p - 5:00p but is dependent upon wildlife viewing, weather conditions, and boat speed.
- Private Wildlife Cruise
- Small-Group Tour
- Tidewater Glacier Kayaking
- Family Friendly
- Bird Watching
- Gulf of Alaska
- Marine Mammal Viewing
- Eagle Viewing
- First Time Kayaker Friendly
- 3 Hours (4-5 Miles) Kayaking
- Rugged Mountains
- Turquoise Waters
This is a very popular trip and sells out well in advance! Booking early is important as we only have 12 available seats per day. Reservations less than three weeks before trip departure are almost impossible to accommodate.
What to expect / what's provided
*Duration: 9 to 10 Hours
07:20 am - Check-in at the Adventure Center
07:30 am - Meet your Guides
07:50 am - Board Our Private Charter for the Wildlife Cruise to Kenai Fjords National Park
10:45 am - Disembark at Our Launch Beach to Kayak near a Tidewater Glacier (3-4 miles)
01:00 pm - Picnic Lunch
02:00 pm - Re-board Our Private Charter to Look for Whales, Orca, Sea Lions, Puffins, and More!
05:00 pm - Return to Seward Small Boat Harbor
* Note: These are approximate times and may be affected by wind, weather, or whales.
*Please note, getting to Kenai Fjords National Park does include boating along the shoreline of the outer coast and the Gulf of Alaska. This portion of the trip will experience sea swell and can expose trip participants to seasickness. If you are especially sensitive to motion sickness we recommend taking precautions prior to trip departure.
*INCLUDED AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE
- Private Charter Boat, Exclusive to Sunny Cove
- Plenty of Comfortable Seating
- Bathroom on Board
- Personalized Experiences
- Professionally Trained Guides
- Interpretive Narration
- Wildlife Viewing Opportunities
- Picnic Lunch
- Morning & Afternoon Snacks
- Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Hot Cider
- Water & Juice
- Neoprene Mitts
- Splash Jacket
- Splash Pants
- Waterproof Boots
- Dry Bag
- Spray Skirt
- Personal Flotation Device
- Stable Two-Person Kayaks
*WE REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 4 PARTICIPANTS TO OPERATE THIS TRIP. If there are fewer than four reservations, we reserve the right to offer an alternative date or a full refund.
*MODIFICATIONS, AND CANCELLATIONS, DUE TO COVID-19 RELATED TRAVEL COMPLICATIONS
We require all participants to adhere to current local, state, and national Covid mandates. We reserve the right to cancel seats if a guest does not adhere to mandates.
We highly recommend getting vaccinated prior to travel. If you can not vaccinate, we recommend testing 72 hours prior to travel.
Guests experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, as outlined below may not participate. We will refund the entirety of the payment if you cannot join us due to C19 symptoms.
*Guests cannot participate if they are:
-Are exhibiting the current CDC recognized symptoms consistent with Covid-19;
-Have knowingly been in contact with a suspected or positive case of Covid-19 in the last 14 days;
-Are within 72 hours of exhibiting significant Covid-19 symptoms or a fever;
-When recovering from a case of Covid-19, are less than 14 days from the onset or less than 72 hours since the end of significant symptoms or fever;
-Guests are advised to bring a full bottle of water with you to your adventure.
-We highly recommend wash their hands often, or use hand sanitizer, as outlined by the CDC.
*GRAND DAY CRUISE & KAYAK COMBO
- Reservations may be altered to another date up within the current season until seven days before departure.
- Reservations may be canceled, without penalty, up until seven days before departure when transferred to a reservation credit valid through the following season.
- Reservations may be canceled for a refund, less the credit card fee, up until 30 days before departure.
- There will be no refund for non-participation on a reserved trip, unless there is a medical reason. If there were a medical condition that necessitates cancellation, we would request a note from your doctor.
- There will be no refund in the difference of price for switching to a different trip of lesser value within 30 days of the departure date.
- Although we rarely cancel trips we reserve the right to cancel any trip for any reason that would make the operation of the trip inadvisable or unsafe. Weather cancellations will be left to our discretion based on field experience. If we cancel a trip you may reschedule or request a full refund. This refund will be the limit of our liability. Sunny Cove does not cancel tours solely on account of rain. Sea kayaking is an activity that remains fun rain or shine.
- Please note this trip into Kenai Fjords National Park requires rounding Cape Aialik and exposure to the Gulf of Alaska. If the water taxi deems the sea conditions unsafe or inadvisable for this trip and we cancel the trip prior to departure you will receive a full refund. Rescheduling the trip will be dependent upon the availability of the water taxi and Sunny Cove. This trip runs rain or shine – come prepared.
- There are times the charter captain believes he can make it around the Cape and into Aialik Bay but may find the conditions unsafe once the trip is in progress. If the charter captain aborts the trip in progress due to rough weather, the boat captain will do his best to provide a Resurrection Bay tour and you will receive a refund of 50% of the trip cost.
- There may be instances where winds and/or weather make it inadvisable to kayak near one of our tidewater glaciers. If this were to occur the guide(s) may modify the trip so that after visiting the glacier by boat the group would kayak in a more sheltered location. There would not be a refund under these circumstances.
- Sunny Cove highly recommends the purchase of travel insurance for all your Alaskan travels. We will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by you in preparation for the trip including airfare, lodging, travel expenses, and other expenditures.